INSTRUCTIONS TO CONNECT TO TURRO SERVERS
From a Mac
From a PC
For each of these methods you will need three (3) pieces of information:
- The name of the server to which you are connecting - servername
(of the form somenamehere.chem.columbia.edu)
- Your username - user
- Your password - password
INSTRUCTIONS TO CONNECT TO TURRO SERVERS FROM A MAC
There are two options a mac user has when connecting to the Turro servers:
- Connect to the ftp server directly through Finder - [go]
- Download Fetch or another ftp client - [go]
- From the desktop, press the apple and the letter K at the same time: apple+K.
- Enter ftp://servername in the 'Server Address' box.
- When prompted, input your user and password.
- This address and user/password can also be saved for future reference.
- Download Fetch here. This will grant you a 15 day trial.
Fetch provides academics and non-profits with free access, for which you can apply here.
- Install Fetch according to the on screen instructions.
- Open Fetch, and when prompted, enter the servername, user, and password in the appropriate boxes.
- You can save your password by clicking the checkbox below, and you can add the servername to your favorites for future connections.
INSTRUCTIONS TO CONNECT TO TURRO SERVERS FROM A PC
There are two options a pc user has when connecting to the Turro servers:
- Connect to the ftp server through ‘Windows > My Network Places’ - [go]
- Download WinSCP from the Columbia website
WINDOWS > MY NETWORK PLACES
- From the Start Menu, go to ‘My Network Places’
- Click on ‘Add a network place’ in the toolbar at left.
- Once the wizard has opened, click ‘Next’.
- Select ‘Choose another network location…’, and click ‘Next’.
- In the box labeled ‘Internet or network address’ input ‘ftp://servername’ depending to which server you are attempting to connect. Click ‘Next’.
- Uncheck the box next to ‘Log in anonymously’, and enter your ‘username’ in the box below. Click ‘Next’.
- In the box below ‘Type a name for this network place’ you can either accept the shortcut name provided, or type a shortcut name of your own choice. Click ‘Next’.
- Click ‘Finish’ to complete the process. If you do not want the location to open, then uncheck the box next to ‘Open this network place when I click finish’.
- The new network place will appear in your ‘My Network Places’ folder for future connections.
- When you attempt to connect to the server by double-clicking on the icon, you will be prompted to provide the password to connect to the server. Ensure the correct username is presented above. You may also check the ‘Save password’ box if you do not wish to input the password each time you connect (this is recommended). Click ‘Log on’.
- A window should open with the contents of the server.